It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Wildcolumbine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:40 pm 

Me again, not surprisingly. I just dipped out of another competition, which is no big deal, but what annoyed me was what was written on the results page. It was explained that the judges were told to assess a bunch of stuff including the believability of the characters and the way the story resolved itself in the last part, etc. etc. What especially annoyed me was that there was no indication when the competition was announced that they wanted straight-down-the-line traditional stories. As it happens, my story would have fitted in but what about the writers who submitted speculative fiction, etc? Bottom line is, I don't like the tendency to categorise writing. Fiction should be whatever it is. Take Annie Proulx's stuff, for example. Much of it is magic realism, and yet many readers would argue that BBM is a straightforward story, no funny stuff going on at all, whereas a closer (and perhaps more obsessive) study shows that it is definitely not just a realistic story. [/rant]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:44 pm 

Gee, life is just a series of rejection slips right now sadxxx Hey ho, we press on.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:20 am 

miniangel wrote:
And the result of that competition was.....
.....that I missed a place on a countback :D
To quote the judge:

....when the tallying up was done there were no less than five
entries locked together in second place!
I can only imagine the odds of that happening! Separating those five entries (so we could award
a second prize and two ‘highly commended’ prizes) was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
In fact it was maddening. (It’s like having quintuplets and being asked to choose your favourite
three, and what’s more, while you’re at it, nominate an order of preference for them all!) I would
have liked simply to award five joint second places and been done with it. But, of course, as is the
way with these things, ‘there can only be one winner’.
So, after a lot of soul searching I ripped my heart out and did what I had to do by way of count-
back to separate them.

I came in at 5th place. C'est la vie. He commented:

5. Talk of the Town

“You just know something’s not quite right with Davo. But what? His woman’s gone walkabout
and his itchy broken leg is giving him gip. Not to mention nosy cops, annoying neighbours and
the fact he’s finally out of cashews. This obviously ain’t going to end well. Funny, neatly written
and with rough, living dialogue to die for, this is a superior effort, if not easy to categorise. I’ll
call it a superior comedy of menace.”

http://media.wix.com/ugd/5ad191_66043ce ... ad54e4.pdf
Couple of bits to mention. The judge who liked (but not quite enough) this story was based in Perth and has the surname Ramshaw. Heath's uncle perhaps? smilex

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:22 am 

miniangel wrote:
I got brave last week and sent off a story to one of the top literary magazines. They use a system called Submittable to receive work. It's a company which handles all the clerical stuff involved. I had opened a Submittable account a while back and after submitting this story, I checked back to see what else I'd used the system for. Much to my amusement, of my three submissions, all three of them were versions of the same story :haha: One day someone will love this story yesd
Just for the record, this finally got rejected. That was a very long wait. Oh the joys of writing.

The reason I'm going through this thread is that I've decided at last to get myself a page on the net to list my achievements, such as they are. Maybe I'll put up a link once it's finished.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9